A few bag shops Sydney wide, and some internet bags online shopping options, for backpacks.
Before makes a purchase it is best to consider what to look for in a backpack.
In a travel backpack the opening is like a suitcase, hinging as the base so that the whole pack is open.
In a hiking backpack just opens at the top.
A travel backpack may have internal compression straps to hold everything in place.
A travel pack will have very few buckles, straps or open pockets as these can get caught as checked luggage on a plane.
A hiking pack often has external pouched for holding water bottles, tools, maps, wallets and other items you might want easy access to.
Internal pockets and compartment vary inside different backpacks. It is a matter of need and persona preference.
- Separate compartment for laundry clothes.
- Large flat section for holding document, papers and books flat.
- Internal or external bottler holder.
- USB connector to the outside of the pack. Keep the battery inside to charge with the device outside.
- Headphone connector from inside to outside.
- Zip pockets for coins or other item.
- Pen, wallet, card holders
Other features include
- Water proof material.
- Padded straps
- Mesh back to reduce sweating
- Handle at the top for carrying as conventional luggage.
- Detachable day pack
- A strap for mounting on wheeled luggage.
- Pouch for a camera
- Security lock
- External water bottle holder
Good quality zips and buckles are important. A backpack with a broken main zipper or strap is basically useless.
Comfort when the bag is full, may be the most important feature. You will have this bag on you back for several hours at time. Don’t overlook comfort.
A backpack will always see some use. Everybody should own one. Find a backpack that suits you needs and always have it there for the odd occasion when you need it.